Gettysburg (3-1, 1-0 CC) 66, McDaniel (2-1, 0-1 CC) 57
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Nov. 20
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Gettysburg finished the game on a 22-7 run, including holding McDaniel without a field goal for 8 minutes, 4 seconds, to rally for a 66-57 victory in the Centennial Conference opener for both teams.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) led the Green Terror with 12 points and five rebounds.
• Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) also reached double figures with 10 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Ashley Gehrin led the Bullets with 16 points and seven rebounds.
• Mackenzie Tinner chipped in 15 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Eight straight points staked Gettysburg to an 8-2 lead in the game's first 4:03. Two Josey Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) free throws, however, sparked a 12-0 McDaniel run to go in front 14-8 with 1:25 to play in the first quarter. Five different Green Terror players scored during the run. A Tori Yantsos jumper in the paint and Kiera Cesareo 3-pointer closed the margin to one but Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) just beat the first-quarter buzzer to push the advantage back to three.
• The first 4:10 of the second quarter was played in a six-point range. After Mackenzie Tinner converted a three-point play to even the game, Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) hit an elbow jumper to spark a 14-7 stretch that stretched the lead to its largest of the game with 1:29 to play. A Cesareo layup closed the margin to 38-33 at the break.
• The Bullets scored the first seven points of the second half to take a 40-38 edge before Klingenberg drained a 3-pointer off a steal in the backcourt. Back-to-back Liv Storer jumpers stretched the lead back to five. After a Tinner jumper, Natalie Mehl canned a 3-pointer and Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) hit a running floater from the right baseline for a 50-42 lead with 2:58 to play in the third quarter. Baskets from four different Bullets trimmed the deficit to 51-50 after three quarters.
• Avery Bennett layups around a Carly Rice triple pushed the lead to 57-51 just 2:03 into the fourth quarter. The lead swelled as large as 64-53 on an Ashley Gehrin layup, capping a 20-3 run over a 10-minute span. Storer converted off a Klingenberg steal-and-pass and then hit another jumper to make it a seven-point game with 1:11 to play but two Gehrin free throws in the waning seconds set the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) added eight points and eight rebounds.
• Josey Klingenberg had four assists and two steals to go with her five points and four rebounds.
McDaniel returns to action at York (Pa.) on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.