Washington (Md.) (7-2, 2-0 CC) 14, McDaniel (4-5, 0-2 CC) 9
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's lacrosse game
When: Saturday, Mar. 30
Where: Chestertown, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Washington (Md.) scored the first three goals of the second half to open up a 10-5 lead en route to a 14-8 victory.
FOR THE FOES
• Lauren Brenner scored five goals to lead the Shorewomen. She also had two assists.
• Kristy Grovom added three goals and an assist.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Cecily Docktor scored twice in the first 4:52 of the game to stake Washington to an early 2-0 advantage. Kealey Allison converted a free-position goal with 22:01 on the clock before Colleen Keefe started a three-goal Shorewomen run just 2:10 later. Lauren Brenner and Kristy Grovom also scored to make it a 5-1 game midway through the opening half. A Tori Arcilesi (Bel Air, Md./Harford Tech) free-position tally made it 5-2 with 12:09 showing but Brenner responded just a minute-and-a-half later to push the lead back to four.
• Arcilesi and Lindsey Farrell (Towson, Md./Loch Raven) each converted from the 8-meter arc just shy of two minutes apart to make it a 6-4 game with 6:23 remaining. Megan Kotelchuck (Crofton, Md./Elizabeth Seton) found Allison to make it a 6-5 game before Olivia Miller hit a free-position shot to push the lead back to two in the final minute of the first half.
• Grovom scored just 30 seconds into the second half and Keefe and Brenner added markers to stretch the lead to 10-5 with 22:19 remaining. Farrell and Allison finished solo runs around a Brenner-to-Caitlin Donovan connection to make it an 11-7 game midway through the second half. Groasl from Brenner and Grovom three minutes apart, however, pushed the lead to six with 9:54 to play. Allison and Brenner exchanged markers in the final 8:36 for the final tally.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Kealey Allison recorded the fifth hat trick of her rookie season.
• Allison also grabbed a career-high eight draws.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Dickinson on Wednesday. Game time is 4:30 p.m.