Mary Washington (6-1) 3, McDaniel (5-1) 0
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Friday, Sept. 7
Where: Fredericksburg, Va.
THE SKINNY STORY
Mary Washington captured three tightly contested sets to sweep McDaniel, including winning the first two sets by 27-25 margins. The Eagles completed the sweep with a 25-18 victory.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) was one of three Green Terror attackers to record eight kills.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) and Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) added eight kills each. Embry chipped in 12 digs.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) matched Embry with 12 digs.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) added 11 digs and 15 assists.
FOR THE FOES
• Keri Gearhart led the Eagle attack with eight kills.
• Ryan Cho steadied the defense with 16 digs.
• Alana Harris added six kills and three aces.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The first set featured 13 ties and seven lead changes. Trailing 24-21, Mary Washington got a service error and Kendal Hall served back-to-back aces to draw the set even. An Eagle block and Allie Lugar kill made it 25-all before an error and Keri Gearhart kill ended the set.
• The second set was similar with 13 ties and eight lead changes. Allie Lugar and Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) put together back-to-back kills to give McDaniel a 25-24 edge before a Leslie Walters block and Harris ace gave Mary Washington set point. Walters and Gearhart finished it off with a block.
• The third set featured 10 ties and three lead changes. Trailing 17-15, a Skyler Sisk kill started a 5-0 run to put the Eagles on top 20-17 en route to the win.
McDaniel returns to action at St. Mary's for a trimatch with Eastern Mennonite on Saturday. Action begins at 2 p.m.