McDaniel (6-1) 3, Eastern Mennonite (2-4) 0
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Saturday, Sept. 8
Where: St. Mary's City, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel won its sixth match by sweep, defeating Eastern Mennonite in the first of two matches at St. Mary's. The Green Terror completed the sweep, 25-21, 25-13, 25-19.
• Lauren Wells (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) recorded eight kills on 10 attack attempts without an error while also adding 16 assists.
• Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) led the attack with nine kills.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) added six kills and 15 digs.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) led the defense with 19 digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Erin Brubaker led the attack with six kills.
• Candice Shaheen steadied the defense with 13 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Back-to-back Carly Gingerich service aces drew Eastern Mennonite even at 20-all in the first set before a Makayla Patterson kill put McDaniel back in front for good. Lauren Wells stretched the lead to 22-21 but an Amy Goodman kill made it a one-point score once again. Three straight Royals errors gave the Green Terror a 25-21 win.
• Tied at 2-all, an Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) and Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) block keyed a 5-1 run that gave McDaniel a 7-3 lead and the Green Terror steadily increased the lead from there.
• McDaniel jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the third set and never trailed.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel is 5-0 for the first time since 2014. The Green Terror has not opened the season with five straight sweeps since 1989.
McDaniel completes the trimatch at St. Mary's on Saturday afternoon.