McDaniel (7-1) 3, St. Mary's (Md.) (3-4)1
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Saturday, Sept. 8
Where: St. Mary's City, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
St. Mary's won the opening set 25-20 before McDaniel rallied with three straight wins (25-15, 25-20, 26-24) to improve to 7-1 on the season. An Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) kill and Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) ace capped the win.
• Marlowe Embry recorded a match-high 21 kills to go with 18 digs, two aces and two blocks.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) led the defense with a season-best 28 digs.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) added 23 assists and 13 digs.
• Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) chipped in 12 digs to go with six kills and two blocks.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) rounded out five players with double-digit digs with 10.
FOR THE FOES
• Chanel Lucas led the attack with 15 kills while Ellyse Sutliff added 10.
• Marissa Dangler led four players in double digits for digs with 26.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Trailing 10-8, a service error handed the serve to Kate Agate in the first set and started an 8-1 run that was capped by three straight Julia Sledz aces, keying the 25-20 first-set win for St. Mary's.
• Two Allie Lugar kills ignited a 5-0 start to the second set and McDaniel never trailed for a 25-15 win.
• Marlowe Embry served eight straight points in the third set, helping the Green Terror to a 9-1 lead en route to the 25-20 victory.
• McDaniel built a lead as large as 15-10 in the fourth set before the Seahawks rallied the tie the set at 20-all. Trailing 24-22, Marlowe Embry knocked down a kill. After a ball-handling error, Emma Lorenzen made it match point and Embry served her second ace of the match for the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• This was the first match of the season for McDaniel not decided in three sets.
• Marlowe Embry notched her first 20-kill, 10-dig performance of the year and second of her career.
• Taylor Bauman had not recorded more than 19 digs in a match this season before the 28-dig performance in the first four-setter of the season.
• As a team, the Green Terror tallied a season-best 92 digs.
McDaniel returns to action at Salisbury on Tuesday. Match time is 6 p.m.