McDaniel (8-1) 3, Salisbury (6-3) 2
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Tuesday, Sept. 11
Where: Salisbury, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel rallied with a 25-22 win in the fourth set to force a deciding set. The Green Terror jumped out quickly in the fifth set for a 15-6 win to take the match, 3-2. Salisbury won the first set 25-23 before McDaniel evened the match with a 25-16 win. The Sea Gulls took the third set, 25-18.
• Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) recorded a season-best 17 kills and hit .469 on the night. She also had two blocks.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) added 12 kills and 14 digs for her second straight double-double.
• Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) rounded out a trio of players with double-digit kills with 10.
• Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) chipped in nine kills and three total blocks.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) added a career-best 39 assists to go with four aces and 10 digs.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) had a season-best 29 digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Amanda Chew led a trio of Sea Gulls with double-digit kills with 17. Chew rounded out a double-double with 15 digs.
• Gianna Saverese added 11 kills while Carley Cleland had 10. Saverese added six blocks.
• Rachel Dubbs chipped in 36 assists, 15 digs and three blocks.
• Haiely Dougherty had 16 digs to lead four players with double-digit digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The opening set had 10 ties and three lead changes. Salisbury opened up a 19-15 lead before McDaniel rallied to even the set at 23-all. Kills by Carley Cleland and Gianna Savarese gave the hosts the first set.
• A Marlowe Embry ace gave the Green Terror a 2-0 lead in a second set in which it never trailed. The lead swelled to 19-10 on an Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) and Emma Lorenzen block – Lorenzen's second block of the match.
• Tied at 1-all in the third set, Nicole Venturelli put down a kill and Hannah Sullivan added an ace to give Salisbury a lead it wouldn't relinquish.
• The fourth set was back-and-forth with 12 ties and seven lead changes. Trailing 22-21, an Embry kill started a 4-0 run to the finish. Lorenzen and Allie Lugar finished the set win with a block.
• The Green Terror jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the deciding set before a timeout and long delay by the officials. Cleland knocked down a kill out of the break but McDaniel notched the next three points. Salisbury closed to 8-5 before Taylor Bauman served six straight points to pull the visitors to match point.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Emma Lorenzen reached the 100-block club in just her sophomore season, finishing the night with 101.
• It was the first five-set match of the year for the Green Terror. McDaniel was 4-2 in five-setters last year.
• Allie Lugar (17) and Makayla Patterson (10) both recorded season highs in kills. It led to a season-high 61 kills for the Green Terror.
McDaniel returns to action in the home and Centennial Conference opener on Friday. Match time is 7 p.m.