McDaniel (10-1, 2-0 CC) 3, Gettysburg (11-1, 1-1 CC) 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) volleyball match
When: Wednesday, Sept. 19
Where: Gettysburg, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored six straight points to open up a 12-7 advantage in the fifth set en route to a 15-9 win and 3-2 victory over Gettysburg.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) led the defense with 29 digs, pacing four players in double-digit digs and a season-high team total of 99.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) established a career high with 14 kills, hitting .333 on the night. She also had three blocks.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the attack with 18 kills and rounded out a double-double with 15 digs.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) added a career-best 22 digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Allie Stranick led three players with double-digit kills with 18. She also added 13 digs.
• Francesca Garison added a double-double of her own with 11 kills and 14 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Gettysburg jumped out to a 7-2 lead in the first set before a Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) ace keyed a 6-2 run that tied the score at 11-all. A Francesca Garison kill put the Bullets back in front for good, however, en route to a 25-17 win.
• The second set had eight ties and four lead changes. Trailing 23-22, one of Lauren Wells' (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) seven kills went down before Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) and Marlowe Embry added two more knockdowns for a 25-23 win.
• The third set was also close with five ties and three lead changes. Tied at 17-all, kills from Anna Jezerski and Lauren Wells coupled with a Bullet attacking error gave the visitors a 20-17 lead and forced a timeout. Kendall Hanak came out with one of her two aces to key a 5-2 finish to the match and 25-19 win.
• Gettysburg raced out to a 6-2 lead in the fourth set, opening up a lead as large as 21-8 before closing out a 25-14 victory and forcing the fifth set.
• Tied at 7-all in the deciding set, a Lauren Wells dump kill and Emma Lorenzen blast on either end of the side change gave McDaniel a 9-7 edge and forced a Gettysburg timeout. A pair of Gayle Edelstein aces stretched the advantage to 11-7 and induced another timeout en route to the 15-9 win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Gayle Edelstein and Lauren Wells both finished with 20-plus assists, recording 24 and 22, respectively. Edelstein added four aces.
• The Green Terror handed the Bullets their first loss of the season.
• McDaniel improved to 2-0 in five-set matches this season and 5-0 in Gettysburg.
• Taylor Bauman crossed the 1,600-dig mark for her career and now has 1,613.
McDaniel returns to action at Swarthmore on Saturday. Match time is 1 p.m.