No. 25 Swarthmore (10-1, 3-0 CC) 3, McDaniel (10-2, 2-1 CC) 0
What: Centennial Conference (CC) volleyball match
When: Saturday, Sept. 22
Where: Swarthmore, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Swarthmore won three tightly contested sets, prevailing 3-0 over McDaniel. The 25th-ranked Garnet took the opening set 25-21 before notching a 25-16 win in the second set and closing out the sweep with a 25-20 victory.
• Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) led the attack with nine kills and added 13 digs and two blocks to the defensive effort.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) led the defense with 17 digs and added a career-best 15 assists.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) added 15 digs and two blocks to go with six kills.
FOR THE FOES
• Mehra Den Braven led the Garnet with 19 kills.
• Sarah Girard paced the defense with 25 digs.
• Isabelle Andrews chipped in seven kills and six blocks.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Tied at 4-all, Mahra den Braven recorded a kill and then joined Isabelle Andrews with a block for a lead the hosts wouldn't relinquish in the first set. A Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) kill made it a 21-20 score to force a timeout. After den Braven and Allie Lugar traded kills, Lelosa Aimufua and Andrews sandwiched kills around an attack error for the final margin.
• An Allie Lugar kill helped the Green Terror open up a 3-1 lead in the second set but the Garnet countered with a 7-2 run to open up an 8-5 advantage. The deficit closed to 12-11 before Swarthmore reeled off six straight points to key the set win.
• The Garnet jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the third set. Trailing 19-11, a pair of Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) blocks keyed a rally that trimmed the deficit to 21-17. Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) knocked down a kill to make it 22-20 but Emma Morgan-Bennett responded with a kill of her own to key the 25-20 win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The Green Terror had eight total blocks in the match – second most this season.
• There were just three combined aces but 16 combined blocks.
• Taylor Bauman led McDaniel in assists (15) from her libero position.
McDaniel returns to action at Goucher on Tuesday. Match time is 7 p.m.