McDaniel (12-2) 3, Hood (10-7) 0
What: Non-Conference volleyball match
When: Thursday, Sept. 27
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used decisive runs in each set to sweep Hood, 3-0. The Green Terror recorded 15 aces along the way and hit .225 on the night.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) recorded nine digs on the night to reach 1,650 for her career and establish a new program record. She also had four aces.
• Marlow Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the attack with 13 kills.
• Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) chipped in eight kills, two aces and two blocks.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) added 17 assists, three aces and four digs.
• Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) contributed eight kills.
FOR THE FOES
• Tailyn Kite led the Blazer attack with five kills.
• Renee Reus steadied the defense with eight digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The first set featured 10 ties and six lead changes. Tied at 13-all, Allie Lugar knocked down a kill to break the tie for the final time, sparking a 5-0 burst that Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) capped with an ace. Luaren Wells (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) capped the 25-18 win with one of her four kills.
• Trailing 9-6 in the second set, an Emma Lorenzen kill and back-to-back aces tied the set at 9-all. After the Blazers went back in front 11-9, an attack error and Gayle Edelstein ace ignited a 7-0 run to give the hosts a 16-11 lead en route to another 25-18 win.
• Bookended by Allie Lugar kills, McDaniel jumped out to a 7-2 lead in the third set. Behind two Robyn Reus aces, Hood recorded six straight points to close to within 15-12 but an Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hall) kill and ace helped stretch the lead back to 19-14. Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) capped the 25-19 win with her fourth block and then fourth kill.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Taylor Bauman surpassed Kate Wall for the all-time career digs record. Wall had 1,648 from 1999-2002.
• The 15 aces were a season high for the Green Terror.
McDaniel returns to action at Washington (Md.) on Saturday. Match time is 1 p.m.