Elizabethtown (15-13) 3, McDaniel (14-5) 2
What: Non-Conference volleyball match
When: Saturday, Oct. 13
Where: Elizabethtown, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
In a match that featured four two-point sets, Elizabethtown rallied for a 29-27 win in the fourth set and 17-15 victory in the fifth set to top McDaniel, 3-2. The Green Terror won the opening set 25-16 before the Blue Jays tied the match with a 25-23 win in the second set. McDaniel took the third set, 26-24.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with 23 kills and 11 digs.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) led five players in double-digit digs with 21.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) added 32 assists and 10 digs.
• Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) added 12 kills to the attack. She also had 10 digs for her first double-double of the year. Lugar added four blocks.
FOR THE FOES
• Mackenzie Garner led the Blue Jays with 18 kills and hit .441 in the match.
• Sarah Schneider added 16 kills and 17 digs.
• Aiyana Tietze-DiToro led the defense with 27 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• A Marlowe Embry kill tied the first set at 8-all and sparked a 6-1 run that put McDaniel on top 14-9 en route to the 25-16 victory.
• An Aiyana Tietze-DiToro ace capped a 3-0 start to the second set for Elizabethtown. The lead would swell to 8-4 before the Green Terror netted five of the next six points to even the set at 9-all. After nine more ties, a service error gave the Blue Jays a 23-22 edge. Embry knocked down a kill to make it 24-23 but a Mackenzie Garner kill evened the match.
• Elizabethtown once again tallied the first three points of the third set before an Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) kill and Allie Lugar ace gave McDaniel a 14-13 edge. In a set that once again featured 10 ties and five lead changes, Embry and Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) put away the set with back-to-back kills for a 26-24 win.
• In the fourth set, there were 18 ties and eight lead changes with neither team leading by more than three points during the set. Tied at 26-all, Sarah Schneider and Embry traded kills before Schneider and Kelli Garriott sent the match to a fifth set.
• A Gayle Edelstein ace, two kills from Lugar and an Embry knocked down allowed the Green Terror to jump out to a 4-1 lead in the fifth set. The Blue Jays countered with five of the next seven points to tie the affair at 6-all. The teams then traded points until back-to-back Schneider kills won it for Elizabethtown.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The 23 kills were a career high for Marlowe Embry. It was her second 20-kill, 10-dig performance of the season.
McDaniel concludes play at Elizabethtown on Saturday with a match against Manhattanville.