McDaniel (17-5, 6-3 CC) 3, Muhlenberg (17-7, 5-3 CC) 1
What: Centennial Conference (CC) volleyball match
When: Saturday, Oct. 20
Where: Allentown, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
After Muhlenberg won the first set 25-19, McDaniel took the second set 25-17 and then capped off a 3-1 win with victories of 25-16 and 26-24.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with a double-double, recording 19 kills and 17 digs.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) led the defense with a season-best 35 digs.
• Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) added 14 kills.
FOR THE FOES
• Kelly Tornetta led the Mules with 12 kills and 13 digs.
• Maya Illovsky paced the defense with 28 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Muhlenberg opened the first set on a 5-1 run. A Tara Register kill stretched the advantage to 12-6. Two Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) aces and back-to-back kills from Marlowe Embry and Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) closed the deficit to 14-12. Clinging to a 16-14 edge, Shannon Hubert knocked down a kill to spark a 7-1 run, stretching the lead to 23-15 en route to a 25-19 win.
• After the teams traded points to start the second set, Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) recorded three straight aces and the Green Terror never trailed in a 25-17.
• Trailing 6-2 in the third set, a Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) kill started a 6-2 counter that tied the set a 8-all. The teams traded points before a Lorenzen kill gave the Green Terror a 13-12 lead that it did not relinquish en route to a 25-16 victory.
• The fourth set featured six ties and three lead changes. Muhlenberg jumped out to a 7-1 lead before a 9-1 McDaniel run gave the visitors a 17-13 lead. Tied at 24-all, Embry and Lorenzen capped the match with back-to-back kills.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel clinched a playoff berth with the victory.
• The 35 digs were a season high for Taylor Bauman.
• The Green Terror snapped an eight-match losing streak to Muhlenberg with the win.
McDaniel concludes the trimatch at Muhlenberg against DeSales. Match time is 3 p.m.