McDaniel (20-7) 3, Muhlenberg (20-8) 0
What: Centennial Conference (CC) Tournament First Round Volleyball Match
When: Wednesday, Oct. 31
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel jumped out to a 9-2 lead in the opening set en route to a 3-0 sweep of Muhlenberg in the opening round of the 2018 CC volleyball tournament.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with 15 kills and 11 digs. She also hit .467 and added four aces.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Md./Albemarle) led four players in double-digit digs with 20.
• Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) chipped in eight kills and two blocks.
FOR THE FOES
• Kelly Tornetta led the Mules with team highs of 11 kills and 16 digs.
• Maya Illovsky added 14 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Trailing 2-0, a Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) overpass went down for a kill to spark a 9-0 run. Marlowe Embry had two aces and a kill during the run. Muhlenberg closed to within 15-11 but three straight Embry kills and a Regan Gefroh (Fort Collins, Colo./Fort Collins) ace pushed the lead to 19-11. Two Mule errors made it 21-11 en route to a 25-12 victory.
• An 8-1 Muhlenberg run in the second set turned a 12-7 deficit into a 15-13 lead before an Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) ace capped a 3-0 burst to put McDaniel back in front. After the teams traded points, two Mule errors and back-to-back Embry kills gave the Green Terror a 22-18 lead en route to the 25-19 victory.
• Muhlenberg put together a 6-1 run early in the third set behind two Kelly Tornetta kills to take a 7-6 edge. Allie Lugar, however, capped a back-and-forth with a kill for a 9-8 McDaniel lead and the hosts did not trail the rest of the way. Two Embry aces helped stretch the advantage to 20-11 en route to the 25-17 victory.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Regan Gefroh matched her season high with 11 digs.
• McDaniel improved to 4-0 all-time in the CC tournament first round.
• The Green Terror is 15-0 this season when winning the first two sets of a match.
McDaniel takes on top-seeded Franklin & Marshall in the first semifinal on Saturday. Match time is 1 p.m.