McDaniel (21-7) 3, Franklin & Marshall (23-7) 0
What: Centennial Conference (CC) Tournament Semifinal Volleyball Match
When: Saturday, Nov. 3
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used three straight service aces midway through the first set to take a lead en route to a sweep of Franklin & Marshall.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with 14 kills and 11 digs for her second double-double in as many tournament matches this season.
• Regan Gefroh (Fort Collins, Colo./Fort Collins) led the defense with 15 digs.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Md./Albemarle) chipped in 11 digs and three aces.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) added 16 assists and four aces.
FOR THE FOES
• Allison Franke led the Diplomat attack with 10 digs.
• Carly Ostrowski added 13 digs and two aces.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Franklin & Marshall took an early 9-6 lead in the opening set before the teams traded points. Three straight McDaniel points, including consecutive kills by Marlowe Embry and Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) tied the set at 10-all. Trailing 13-11, a service error and three straight Taylor Bauman aces made it a 15-13 score for the fourth-seeded Green Terror. Kills by Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) and Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) around a Gayle Edelstein ace stretched the advantage to 23-17 en route to a 25-20 victory.
• A Makayla Patterson kill and Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) ace staked McDaniel to a 4-1 lead in the second set. The Diplomats closed to within 7-6 before Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) and Isabel Paci knocked down kills to stretch the advantage back out to 10-6. The lead swelled to 24-18 on back-to-back Gayle Edelstein aces en route to the 25-20 win.
• Franklin & Marshall raced out to a 4-0 lead and grew the lead to 10-4. Trailing 16-14, an attack error and Marlowe Embry kill evened the set. After a ball handling error, Lauren Wells (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) knocked down a kill to spark a 5-0 run for a 21-17 advantage. A Makayla Patterson kill made it a 24-19 score before the Diplomats staved off match point three times. Embry knocked down a final kill for the match winner.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Regan Gefroh's 15 digs was a career best for the freshman.
• McDaniel is advancing to the championship match for the second time in the last four seasons.
• The Green Terror is 16-0 this season when winning the first two sets of a match.
It was Marlowe Embry's 10th double-double of the year.
McDaniel takes on second-seeded Johns Hopkins in the championship match on Sunday. Match time is 1 p.m.