Johns Hopkins (21-7) 3, McDaniel (21-8) 0
What: Centennial Conference (CC) volleyball tournament championship match
When: Sunday, Nov. 4
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Johns Hopkins jumped out to a 7-2 lead in the first set before coming out on top of a back-and-forth third set to secure a sweep of McDaniel in the championship match.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) posted eight kills, seven digs and two blocks to lead the Green Terror.
FOR THE FOES
• Michelle Abt led the Blue Jays with 10 kills.
• Simone Bliss added 10 kills of her own.
• Nicole Hada chipped in 27 assists and 10 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Johns Hopkins jumped out to a 7-2 lead in the opening set. The advantage swelled as large as 21-9 en route to a 25-12 victory.
• Back-to-back Louisa Kishton service aces broke a 1-all deadlock in the second set, sparking an 11-5 run that opened up a 12-6 advantage. The lead shrunk to 16-13 before three straight Blue Jay kills helped push the lead out to 20-13 en route to a 25-16 final margin.
• Tied at 6-all in the third set, a Marlowe Embry kill and two blocks keyed a 5-1 run that gave the Green Terror an 11-7 advantage. Johns Hopkins rallied to even the set at 12-all An Eleni Panagopoulos kill and block on back-to-back points gave the Blue Jays an 18-16 advantage. Back-to-back Embry kills once again tied the score – this time at 21-all. Tied at 22-all, Johns Hopkins tallied the final three points on two Michelle Abt kills and a final knockdown by Simone Bliss.
THE INSIDE STORY
• It was the third CC championship match appearance for the Green Terror, who fell to 1-2 all-time in the title match.
• It was the third straight conference crown for Johns Hopkins.
McDaniel will learn on Monday where its season will continue.