Swarthmore (8-7, 2-1 CC) 3, McDaniel (8-7, 2-1 CC)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) volleyball match
When: Saturday, Sept. 28
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
In a tightly-contested match, Swarthmore took three close sets, including a 39-37 fourth set, to top McDaniel, 3-1.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with a career-high 27 kills to go with 15 digs.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) added her third straight double-double with 15 kills and 15 digs.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) steadied the defense with 21 digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Sierra Tyson led Garnet with 10 kills and 18 digs. She also had 22 assists, three aces and two blocks.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Trailing 18-15 in the first set that featured 13 ties and six lead changes, three straight Marlowe Embry kills drew McDaniel even at 18-all before an attacking error gave the hosts a 19-18 edge. The teams traded points before three straight errors made it a 24-21 advantage for Swarthmore en route to a 25-22 win.
• Trailing 9-7, two Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) aces keyed a 4-0 run that gave the Green Terror an 11-9 edge. Back-to-back blocks that Embry was a part of stretched the lead to 16-11 before Embry knocked down a kill to force a timeout. McDaniel stretched the lead as large as 22-15 en route to a 25-20 win that evened the match at 1-all.
• Swarthmore jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the third set and never trailed for a 25-22 win.
• In the fourth set, Swarthmore led 11-7 early but three Embry kills helped the Green Terror draw the set even at 12-all – the second of what would eventually be 23 ties in the fourth set alone. Neither team led by more than two points, including a 23-21 Green Terror advantage. Eventually the Garnet took advantage of back-to-back hitting errors to prevail 39-27 in the set and capture the match.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Marlowe Embry's 27 kills were the most by a Green Terror player since 2001 when Kate Wall had 36 against Widener on Oct. 27.
• Swarthmore had just 43 kills compared to 68 for McDaniel. The Garnet, however, had 11 aces and 12 total blocks.
• Alena Villanueva (Gaithersburg, Md./Magruder) added a career-high 34 assists and 11 digs.
McDaniel returns to action at Susquehanna on Tuesday. Match time is 6 p.m.