Susquehanna (16-3) 3, McDaniel (8-8) 0
What: Non-Conference volleyball match
When: Tuesday, Oct. 1
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Susquehanna recorded the final three points of a 28-26 third set to complete a 3-0 sweep of McDaniel.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with eight kills and 13 digs. She also had an ace and block.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) led the defense with 16 digs.
• Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) added eight kills to the attack.
FOR THE FOES
• Rosina Esposito led the River Hawks with 12 kills while hitting .314 in the match.
• Lizzie Herestofa added 19 digs to steady the defense.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In the opening set, an Emma Lorenzen kill and block assist helped McDaniel open up an early 5-1 lead. Back-to-back Rosina Esposito kills put Susquehanna in front 9-8 and capped a quick 4-0 burst. Clinging to a 15-13 lead, Veronica Kirchner and Riley O'Dowd put down back-to-back kills to spark a 10-2 close to the set and 25-15 victory.
• An Esposito ace ignited an early 6-0 lead in the second set that put the River Hawks ahead early, 7-3. Susquehanna went on to capture the set 25-12 and take a 2-0 lead in the match.
• After a back-and-forth start to the third set, two kills each from Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) and Hayley Mills (Bowie, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) in a six-point stretch helped McDaniel take a 13-7 lead. The River Hawks slowly clawed back into the set, eventually tying the score at 23-all on a Natalie Arm kill. Two Marlowe Embry kills around a Samantha Balsamo kill gave the visitors a 25-24 edge. A service error and Jezerski kill kept the Green Terror in front by one but another Arm kill and pair of McDaniel errors capped the sweep.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Anna Jezerski added seven kills and six digs.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Washington (Md.) on Saturday. Match time is 1 p.m.